Working with cheese everyday gives me the opportunity to care for it and to see how it ripens. The other day I picked up a Weybridge and was shocked! "Hey! Has anyone tried the Weybridge recently?" Everyone gathered round and we passed around the cheese. This cheese was incredibly difficult. Instead of being solid, it felt like...well, kind of like creme Anglaise stuck in a cheese.
I opened the wrapper to take a good hard look at the cheese. No ammonia smell, no funny molds that shouldn't be there, not wet, the cheese looked good. So I took one home. I was pretty sure that there was still going to be some kind of solid in there, but probably not enough to make slices like I did before.
I decided to cut the top off of the cheese. Similar to how you'd work with an Epoisses. The rind is no longer a white, it's gotten a beige, mottled tint to it. The flavors are a bit different as well. Instead of a walk in the woods after a rainstorm, it's become decidedly more barnyardy. Straw, musk, and animal husbandry are all coming into play now. Really exciting to see a young cheese and get to compare it to an aged version of the same cheese.
This cheese is obscene.
Ultimately, this cheese doesn't have much more to give us. It's just about reached the end of it's lifespan. I think that after tomorrow I would not eat this cheese. I think it's going to go into ammonia-bitter-yuck land soon. But man oh man that makes some good "fondue".
We couldn't stop laughing at how gooey this cheese was. I don't know why. We hadn't even opened the wine yet.
How to lose weight and keep it off
6 hours ago